Home Allgemein An ambitious EC-funded research initiative on epigenetics advancing towards systems biology 36
- Teaching module with 8 sections on Epigenetics at the Genetic Science Learning Center
- and accompanying website
Multimedia teaching resources
- Epigenetics episode of NOVA Science
- Epigenetics: What Makes Us Who We Are?
A Windfall Films Production for Begin Before Birth, supported by the Wellcome Trust
- Molecular movie containing a brief introduction to the nucleosome and histone code, as well as euchromatin and heterochromatin states.
(This video is appropriate for those who already have an understanding of DNA structure and the central dogma).
- RNA interference (RNAi) is an important process, used by many different organisms to regulate the activity of genes. This animation explains how RNAi works.
- Animation: The Central Dogma
This animation shows how molecular machines transcribe the genes in the DNA of every cell into portable RNA messages, how those messenger RNA are modified and exported from the nucleus, and finally how the RNA code is read to build proteins.The video was made by RIKEN Omics Science Center (RIKEN OSC http://www.osc.riken.jp/english/ ) for the exhibition titled ‘Beyond DNA' held at National Science Museum of Japan.
- Steve Spangler's Science YouTube channel covers way more than just epigenetics.
- Amazing animation on RNAi via @NatureRevGenet and Arkitek
- Podcast on epigenetics and human behavior from Scientific American.
- Want to give your students an idea of what epigenetic modifications & heterochromatin look like? Check out this video on Cell Signaling's website.
- PBS Nova episode on epigenetics
- NOVA Teachers scienceNOW website
- NOVA Teachers associated teachers’ guide
Other useful links
- Center of the Cell is an educational charity dedicated to inspiring curiosity and learning by connecting science to everyday life. Centre of the Cell is an online resource, a science education centre and outreach project aimed at young people, teachers, families and community groups.
- Excellent introductory material on Epigenetics & Epigenomics from Nature’s Scitable
Epigenomics: The New Tool in Studying Complex Diseases
Epigenetic Influences and Disease
- Free textbook via the NIH bookshelf, Human Molecular Genetics. 2nd edition, by Strachan T, Read AP
- Free textbook via the NIH bookshelf, Modern Genetic Analysis. Griffiths AJF, Gelbart WM, Miller JH, et al. New York: W. H. Freeman; 1999. (See the chapter on Epigenetic Inheritance)