Institute of Molecular Biology (IMB), Mainz, Germany
Science Writer / Manager (m/f)
The Institute of Molecular Biology is a growing Centre of Excellence for Life Sciences, which is funded by the Boehringer Ingelheim Foundation. IMB is located on the campus of Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, one of the largest universities in Germany. As an international institute—currently, 60% of our scientific staff come from abroad with over 25 nationalities represented—our official language is English and we provide an exciting, intercultural working environment. IMB’s Scientific Management Department is seeking to recruit a Science Writer/ Manager who can produce internal and external communications for print and online publications.
- Writing and editing of English texts in a variety of styles, including for press releases, brochures and newsletters
- Editing and coordinating IMB’s Annual Report and reports to its Scientific Advisory Board
- Writing and editing website content and maintenance of a TYPO3 CMS
- Maintaining IMB’s blog and social media channels
- Supporting IMB’s fundraising, e.g. by drafting grant applications for institutional activities
- Participating in the organisation of scientific events and the recruitment of group leaders
- Assisting in other Scientific Management activities, esp. strategic issues, as applicable
We are looking for a person with the following attributes to join our young and dynamic team:
- Excellent writing skills in English (native speaker); no knowledge of German required
- A degree in the life sciences and/or a thorough understanding of the field
- The ability to interact with scientists at different levels
- An outgoing personality who is motivated, reliable and flexible, and who can work both independently and within a service-orientated team
Your prospects: We offer an interesting position in a new and growing international institute, remuneration according to your experience and vocational training opportunities. The position is initially fixed-term for 2 years, with the possibility for extension. Starting date for the position is 1 July 2017 or later. IMB is an equal opportunity employer.
The city of Mainz is a charming, open-minded city with a large student population. It is within easy reach of both cosmopolitan Frankfurt, with its famous opera house, avant-garde museums and glass-and-steel banking district, as well as the Rhine valley region with its castles, vineyards and nature reserves that offer great outdoor activities. With Frankfurt airport—one of the largest airports in Europe—only 25 minutes away, countless European and overseas destinations are within easy reach.
Closing date for applications: 10 June 2017
Deadline for applications: 10th June 2017